Wednesday, February 21, 2007

hmmm, surgery that wasn't too bad, isn't that an oxymoron?

Well, if it is, then so be it I say. It wasn't bad at all. My doctor actually did the surgery, which I wasn't expecting. So that was nice. He was a little abrasive (ok, a lot) on Monday's ultrasound, but he was a lot more compassionate and kind today. Who knows, maybe he was having a bad day too.

The Good:
1. not a long wait at all
2. the staff was wonderfully polite and attentive
3. booties for my cold feet
4. warmed blankets for my coldness in general
5. wonderful pre op anti anxiety medication. it was lovely.
6. my husband was there and he was great
7. i came out of the anethesia quickly, with no dizziness or nausea
8. didn't have to wait long at all to go home
9. could've walked out of there, but they wheel you.
10. i only had cramping right after, and then they gave me morphine, twice. god bless them.

The Bad:
1. i have freakishly small veins that roll. it's always a crapshoot as to where they will needle me. usually, it is the inside crook of my elbow in the same vein every freakin' time. (that was really fun for every other day blood draws during my stims. but i digress.) anyway, that's what they used today, and it was already bruised, so that hurt pretty good.
2. the waiting room was way crowded, and the seats were too close together. i like my space.
3. there was one tv, and it was the anna nicole smith circus trial. so sad.
4. i had to pee magically after my gown was on and the iv was in my arm and i was hooked up to the bag. that was an interesting sight to behold i'm sure.
5. i wanted mcdonald's in the worst way on the way home, and then we were almost there and i started to feel funny and nauseous. so i didn't get my quarter pounder with cheese and fries.
6. actually, #5 may not count as a bad thing, because no one should ever eat that stuff.

so all in all, it wasn't too bad. if I had a job where I could go in kind of late tomorrow and leave a little early, sit at my desk and stay kind of quiet, I would probably go. But, I don't, so instead I'm going to stay home and eat lunch with my mom. Maybe she will bring me mcdonald's. :)

P.S. Thanks to you all, so so much, for your kindness and compassion. I was surprised at how much I needed this support, and it has made this process so much easier.

7 comments:

Baby Blues said...

At least there's more good listed than the bad. I'll be adding you to my blogroll so I could check on you. Take it easy.

Anonymous said...

Hello. My heart goes out to you and your husband. (I'll also be checking on you.)

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

spark said...

I am so so sorry for your loss.

BigP's Heather said...

Glad it wasn't too horrible.
I hope you get your McDonald's (Yes, it is bad but the Greasy Goodness is needed in times like these!)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, a quatter pounder and fries are just what a girl needs. You have to indulge every so often.

I am glad you came through this ok, at least physically.

Sarah said...

LARGE fries and a chocolate milkshake! hey, you said you're thin so go for it!

i liked your comment about venting here instead of to the husband. i think he's getting more out of me blogging than i am!

hope you find some comfort soon.